12/11/2015

November News

Hello Everyone

Hard to believe we are almost at the end of our first term. I have seen such growth in the students both academically and socially and I look forward to sharing their progress with you  at the end of the term.
Reading
As readers, we have almost completed our study of characters. We have used the Secret Garden as a class read aloud to model the different strategies needed to be a good fiction reader. Here is a little clip of our understanding on this topic so far:



2015-11-10 14.53.06 from marriott on Vimeo.


A little graphic to illustrate the importance of reading 20 minutes each night.





Writing
We have completed our second narrative works, which we have displayed outside our classroom.  We are almost ready to launch our Kid blogs where we will be highlighting our learning journey. Some of these pieces will be works in progress(drafts), while others will be final polished entries. Parents will be able to observe the student's learning and thinking as well as offer comments of encouragement. Here are some examples of constructive comments that would help your child through the learning process:
  • I can tell you really thought about your word choices as you wrote this piece. The use of the word lackluster and glared really added power to your piece.
  • You have a very powerful idea that you have written using a story teller's voice. I felt like I was with you as I read the story.


Social Studies
In this unit we are focusing on two essential questions as we research different countries:

  • What do people around the world have in common?
  • How does where we live shape our lives?

We will be sharing some of our ideas around this topic on our blogs soon.









Thanks for your continued support,
Theresa


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - we value your input.