05/10/2014

Oct. 3rd

Hello Parents

Another couple of wonderful weeks  learning and growing together as a classroom community. Each day I remind myself how fortunate I am to teach such an eager group of learners.

As readers, we have worked with the importance of making connections to help us understand the story in a deeper way. In our minds we make text to self, text to text and text to world connections.  Here is some of the  self talk students would use:

  • I'm not like..... because...
  • This story is just like.... because...
  • This character is just like... because...
  • This makes me think about...
  • I heard about this..
  • This reminds me of....because... 
As students respond in their reading logs at home and in class, it is very important that they support their thoughts with reasons and examples.

Writing Workshop
We very proudly traveled the school sharing our first published narratives. We are now working on our second piece as we try to write with even more power.

Math
Grade four students will continue their larger number unit in math this week and then will be starting work with multiplication and division. Please have your child log some extra time practicing their facts on the links I sent home. 

Social Studies
We have wrapped up our study of geography which the students thoroughly enjoyed. We used our mapping knowledge to create an imaginary country map which we will display outside our room this week. Then we will begin our first science unit on magnets and electricity.

Safe travels and have a wonderful fall break.
Theresa

 Enjoy our latest show of events!
Busy Times on PhotoPeach




Busy Times on PhotoPeach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - we value your input.